So once again I disappeared off the face of the blogging world, seemingly for no good reason. It's just that the last couple of months have been taken up completely with projects, finals, and coming home for the holidays to help my mom look after my aunt, who is in the final stages of ovarian cancer. We've moved into my aunt's (Internetless) house, and between dealing with the hundreds of visitors pouring in, and doing what little I can to help around, the shiny world of the Interwebs has held very little appeal for me over the past few weeks. I could probably wax philosophical about mortality and loss and things like that, but I'm not going to. It's hard enough trying to deal with the fact that my aunt has entrusted me with the honour of composing her eulogy. "You write it", she says "and it'll be a good one". I hope I can deliver.
So instead of watching adorable animals on Youtube, I've been spending my days catching up on my reading (some nice controversial Salman Rushdie for starters), like a good student of Literature should, and learning how to cook. Not just instant noodles, mind you, but the formidable and spice-drenched world of good proper Indian cooking, with its peppers and mustard seeds and cardamoms and chilli paste. And onions. Dear god, so much onion. Why, India?
In any case I have just acquired one of those mobile broadband wireless thingies, so I'll be able to surf the Net for at least a couple of hours a day, and be a better blogger and blogbuddy. Before getting into my usual foot-long posts, though, I thought I'd bring us all a litte bit of much-needed cheer by resurrecting my favouritest blog meme of forever ; the In Your Pants game. Feel free to play along, peasants. Just grab your iPod or other media player of choice, put it on shuffle, and add the words "...in your pants" to the end of the first 20 song titles that come up.
1. Benediction in my pants.
2. Summer In The City in my pants.
3. Southern Radio in my pants.
4. Sin-Eaters in my pants.
5. To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High) in my pants.
6. Valerie in my pants.
7. In The Middle in my pants.
8. Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day in my pants.
9. Hardship Acres in my pants.
10. Five Little Rooms in my pants.
11. There Was Light in my pants. (No. Kidding.)
12. Boys You Won't Remember In My Pants.
13. Corner Of The Sky in my pants.
14. Don't Stop in my pants.
15. Dull Life in my pants.
16. You're Going Back in my pants.
17. Hush in my pants.
18. Helplessness Blues in my pants.
19. Norway in my pants.
20. Pumpkin Soup in my pants.
Oh the joy of pants.
3 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. My thoughts are with her, and with your family. But she's right, you know, will write a wonderful eulogy. She made a very wise choice.
Be well, my friend, and get those onions chopped.
I too am sorry to hear about your aunt. Every female in my family on my father's side has had ovarian cancer, and it has been hard to watch. My thoughts are with your aunt and the rest of your family. I had to give a eulogy last year at my Grandmother's funeral - I won't lie and say it was easy - but I know you can write a very moving piece. You're good with the words, yo.
Take care. xo
Barb - Thanks so much for the kind thoughts, Barb :) I usually shy away from getting too personal on ye olde blog, but hey. Once won't hurt. And those onions will be shown no mercy, I assure you.
Allison - Thanks Allison :) Goodness,every woman in your dad's side of the family? That must be tough. You take care as well.
Post a Comment