Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Murderifying The Queen's Engrish, One Lah At A Time.



So, 2009 marks Malaysia's 52nd year of Independence from those darned Brits (click here for those who seek enlightenment and for those who have forgotten what a History textbook looks like) , and although the national celebrations and stuff were over two weeks ago it's never too late on this here blog. And it really got me thinking, because at this moment in time, Malaysia's government, politics, society and mainstream media are all submerged in various degrees of the bogs of Suckage. So I'll concentrate instead on the one thing that makes my country genuinely awesome in its own right (not the food, surely, that would take far too long) .

Manglish.

Yup. Much like the word suggests, it is a frankly horrifying linguistic trend where English, Malay and various other local dialects are mangled up into a form of spoken English with absolutely no regard for grammar, decency, or the art of making sense. We say "lah" at the end of every sentence, we go all out for direct translation, and we have discovered more uses for the word "one" than possibly any other civilization in history. In fact, the majority of Malaysians speak at least four languages ; Malay, their own dialect or the mother tongue of their ancestors (depending on where the aforementioned ancestors came from), proper English, and Manglish.

For instance, where someone who spoke proper English would say "There is no such thing" or "That can't be possible", your average Malaysian would simply burst out with the indignant exclamation of "Where got?" , which is basically a direct translation from Malay, and therefore hopelessly flawed. Manglish is of course, strictly used on the streets or in informal situations, and is never taught in schools (but if got means, like that cekap lah wei). Similarly "How is this possible" becomes "Where can?", "Are you sure" becomes "Sure ah?"
and so on.

The particle "-lah" is also of extreme importance in speaking Manglish. Imported from Malay, it is used at the end of virtually every sentence, and where it was once used to simply affirm a statement, the"-lah" has achieved a nearly infinite level of functionality. For example, you may say "I am a blogger". Or in Manglish, "I am a blogger, lah". Naturally. Or "Don't be stupid lah". A mere change in the inflection of the "-lah" can mean so many things.

Some other words of interest include ;

"terrer" - (pronounced as the English "terror") Refers to someone or something being awesomely amazing or good

"blur" - confused, out-of-it. Roughly equivalent to "spacey" in American slang.

"kantoi" - to get caught

jom- let's go

"tahan" - to stand, to bear


I'm feeling somewhat lazy at the moment, so if you want to learn some more ah, you go here lah. Wikipedia very best lo, got tell you so many-many things one. I give you one more lah, this one you can listen to what Manglish sound like when got people sing one. Very terrer lah.




Although naturally, for album recording purposes, the grammar on this is impeccable compared to what is usually spoken.
Now go get educated. Leave comments in your bestest Manglish for extra credit.
Lah.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bestnyer! Wah, I din know you so patriotic wan. Not bad ah, Vee. I tell you ah, this post should be recommended for compursory reading for every Lah-saying person. It'll make their day man. Cun la wei.

bloody awful poetry said...

Best kan? Yeah lor, I ackshually sangat the patriotic one, but I shy nak tunjuk-tunjuk lah. But you say so nice-nice about my blog ah, I thank you lah. Oh and Happy Belated Merdeka wei =)

BeckEye said...

I'm going to start saying, "Where got" all the time now.

aisha said...

Brader, very the nice lah your post. You so patriotic punya semangat sumore. And the comic is hilarious. But I kenot unnerstan what dat fella on the left sayinglah. Can translate ah?

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Jom Malaysia, everyone lah! Where can BAP so terrer? She can't help it lah. She's so fierce ah!

(This is harder than it looks. And at the same time, easier.)

Allison said...

Fascinating!

I'm with BeckEye, I'm going to start using "Where got" from now on. :)

The use of 'lah' reminds me of our use of 'eh'...to some degree.

bloody awful poetry said...

Beckeye - And I shall be so proud of you! Don't forget to add a few "lah"s here and there. Crucial, them.

Ayesha - Waah thank you thank you! That feller on that side one ah? I not so sure one but I think ah, it's something like "Die die lah..you think I scared ah?".

Barb - That was a terrific effort! Very well done, with all the proper flaws and such. You'll fit right in when you get to this neck of the woods. And it's somehow rather liberating to speak awful English.

Allison - And the "lah". Don't you forget about the "lah".

Anonymous said...

Walau, your friend Barbara terrer la Vee. She so fast sound like one of us oledi. The Queen must be thinking, "Scary sh*t wei."

brave chickens said...

terrer lah!

I'm with BeckEye too.
"Where got lah?"

Do kids at school talk Maglsih at all?

Nishhza said...

wei, you ah, make me laugh laugh until my stomach oso sakit. Very farny lah wei

bloody awful poetry said...

B - I know right? She has true linguistic talentz!

Brave Chickens - Wei, you guys, you guys ah, making me so proud lah. *wipes tear* And heck yes we speak awful English in school too!

Nish - You still got it wei. Once a Malaysian ah, sure always Malaysian one.

Hannah said...

waa..I suke GLER this post wei.

and I totally miss Klang Valley's slang lar wei. Mmg tk boleh pakai one that slang here. Aiyoh, even English pun tak pakai. I say 'shit' out of you knw, habit and this girl here goes..

"sheet?" *blur-blur one kind wan laa*

Unknown said...

Hi ! Seems like if I don't comment using Manglish I'll be ruining this list of comments :)

Although I have to say ah that I also do use Manglish la, it's so contagious like a disease lah...Spreads fast among ppl esp in school la. When I no go school ah I'm better with my inggerish wan. Now have to learn to speak proper english la if I wanna do degree in english hor ?? Agree or not ? ( I totally agree with yr post in terms of the words used in Manglish. Some are literally translated even form the chinese dialects and it's super funny.)

My family and I often have a hilarious time correcting each other and talking about new Manglish words we picked up or even heard in conversations !! haha...
Okay now I talk talk too long aredi ....hahaa fun reading yr posts.I like this one best. Cun-lah !

bloody awful poetry said...

Hannah - Alaa baru aku perasan your comment...and thanks yous, woman =)
Seriously? They tak tahu what shit is? Aiyah. But kinda fun though. I mean, you could just swear at them in the nicest tone ever and they won't even have a clue wei.

Sarah - HAI!I know wei, Manglish is unavoidable. Like if you dare speak really proper Engrish in front of another Malaysian ah, they sure look at you one kind like that. And thanks so much for dropping by wei =) Come back soon, tau?

Unknown said...

HAILO again !! hahaha
I totally agree with you. When I do speak proper English people just stare , till their eyes nearly popped out of the sockets!! There were worst times when ppl would say I was arrogant, just cause I spoke proper English. Where's the common sense to that ? Haha aiyor I think niao-mind-lah ..we can use this hor, four funni funni tymes lor...like dis hor ?? :)

Unknown said...

Oops ! sorry forgot to say, this post inspired me to blog about something to do with Manglish...so erm I'll do it soon , and don't worry credit will be given to you discreetly :)